Now Hiring! Museum Facilitator for 2018 Season
Want to help run an historically significant battlefield and museum just 25 miles east of Pittsburgh?
The Bushy Run Battlefield Heritage Society, Inc. is looking for an enthusiastic, organized, and efficient individual to help keep the rich military history of Bushy Run Battlefield alive! The position of Museum Facilitator (the only paid position at the Battlefield) is open for the 2018 season.
The Museum Facilitator supports the interpretive function of the site by providing informational services; publicity; and operation of the ticketing fee collection, gift shop collection, and site rental collection programs. The Facilitator performs public education and informational work for the site by implementation of school programs/tours/lectures and additional special fundraising events for the Bushy Run Battlefield Heritage Society, Inc. (BRBHS). The activities are based upon the site’s curatorial collection, cultural resources, history, and historical research.
- Completes daily operational duties for the battlefield grounds and Visitor Center:
- Provides accurate information regarding the history and significance of the battlefield and local area; the site’s policies and procedures of the site; goals and objectives; and special events relating to the site.
- Processes and maintains records regarding reservations for the site’s education programs for groups, all site rentals, and prepares Facility Use Agreements as required. This includes the collection of fees pertaining to these events.
- Directs activities of interns, guides, and volunteers engaged in the site’s educational interpretation, gift shop activities, and outside beatification projects, and monitors General Admission tours.
- Prepares monthly schedule for reception desk and tour guide coverage along with special event rosters.
- Provides coverage of reception desk and formal/informal interpretive talks to individuals and/or groups in the absence of interns or volunteers.
- Trains interns and volunteers in daily operations of the site, including running the cash register, giving tours, and adherence to established site policies and procedures.
- Drafts press releases and creates and maintains promotional material for the site and BRBHS events (i.e. fundraising).
- Establishes and maintains professional and effective working relationships with the BRBHS Board, PHMC staff and contractors, interns, volunteers, and the general public.
- Maintains working relationships with local historical societies and tourism bureaus.
- Maintains and updates website; social media accounts, and databases of volunteers, reenactors, advertisers, media contacts, and special event participants.
- Contacts and secures public and private schools (including home-school or cyber school students) for onsite interpretive educational programming. Plans and coordinates tours with volunteers.
- Increase and improve school tours through program redevelopment, overall promotion, and direct contact with regional school districts; and increase the number of school districts registered to visit Bushy Run Battlefield.
- Coordinates special events (the annual battle reenactment, lectures, nature walks, tea parties, car cruise, Haunted History Hayride, etc.) by participating in planning; setup and take down; marketing; and working with the necessary volunteers and/or PHMC staff for each event.
- Assists in curatorial museum work under the supervision and direction of the PHMC Regional Curator.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Managerial, computer, and retail experience (required)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (required)
- Strong interpersonal skills, enthusiasm, reliability, and willingness to work directly with volunteers and the public (required)
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher), Facebook and other social media platforms (required)
- Past experience with nonprofit organizations (preferred)
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, Communications, or History (preferred)
- Working knowledge of WordPress and OpenCart (preferred)
- Valid Driver’s License and the ability to safely operate an eight-person golf cart (required)
- Knowledge of First Aid and CPR is not required but is a plus
- Wage: $11 – $13 /hr
- Hours: 37.5 hours per week, full-time seasonal position with no benefits.
- Wednesday – Saturday: 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. (with 30-minute lunch)
- Sunday: 11:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
All applicants must submit a resume, cover letter, and three writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, January 31 at 11:59 p.m. to be considered for the position.